It just occurred to me, 11 days into October, that I haven’t done my catch up post for September.
And that’s basically because not much happened in September. Joel and I were both light on funds, so there was a lot of hanging out at home. A lot of Netflix and chill. A lot of making lunch meals in advance. A lot of going to work and coming home. Not a lot of fuss, and not a lot of bother. You know it was a slow month when you have to look back through your meal calendar to remember what you got up to. But here’s the nitty gritty:
- stomach bug – started this month with a 4 day round of gut wrenching stomach issues. Gross.
- Fiscal Freeze – It was really hard, but I kept mostly to my “no unnecessary spending” goal. I lost track toward the end of the month (when I ran out of money and had to borrow from savings), but the ‘unnecessary’ spending I did make were cab rides, a few coffees, one breakfast, and a couple meals out. It did make me take a long, hard look at how I spend money, and how fast it all goes.
- anniversary in Sydney – celebrated 1 year of living Sydney-side. +10, would reside again.
- finished paint by number – my winter project wrapped up quite majestically.
- pizza parties – because we weren’t spending money on unnecessary things, we had room to splurge on unnecessary things – like pizza. Ok, we didn’t really have room to splurge, but sometimes you need pizza.
- bill murray bar – discovered a brewery called Young Henry’s, where the walls are decorated with Bill Murray prints. Such love.
- China Town adventures/Nikon – we crawled all over China Town for a weekend, and I got to use Grampa, my Grampa’s film camera.
- Joel’s last day/vacation – Mr. Joel left his full time job to focus on more freelance work, which is an incredibly exciting move. To kick off this new path, he went on a road trip to Melbourne with his friend Craig. I had big, big plans to do lots of writing and reading and walking around sight-seeing and watching things on Netflix that Joel’s not in to – but there was some kind of mysterious super glue that seeped out of the couch once Joel left, and I found myself stuck to it, coma napping, junk food and bolognese eating and old episodes of Teen Mom watching. And it broke me. I was in a weird, moody funk for the next two weeks while my blood sugars readjusted.
- home cooking: So much cooking at home, from the scrapings of the fridge and pantry. Not pictured: 3 different variants of chicken stir fry, butter chicken, steak and vegetables and cous cous, Chicken Escobar – a delicious chicken, beans and rice dish that Joel came up with while we watched a marathon of Narcos (hence the moniker), and tuna bake (because no month will go by without a tuna bake)
- donut day – artisan donuts from Grumpy Donuts, who had a temporary stand as part of a Spring Carnival promotion at one of the city shopping centers. I stood in a pretty long line to get these nibbles, and they didn’t disappoint. We ate them at Hyde Park, and did some people watching afterward.
- blog updates – I spent a whole Sunday reformatting and updating the ol’blog, and kept re-tooling it every day after that. it’s slowly bur surely coming along.
- Joel – still the best.
- sunsets – still so good.
See ya, September! Onto October.