We had a hot one today, folks – so hot that I went to work simply so I could have air conditioning (that’s serious) even though I really wanted to stay home and smother myself in aloe (my sunburn still really, really hurts). Continue reading “Hodge Podge – Wednesday”
Today, a series of events:
- Left the house late
- Crowded bus
- Burnt coffee
- Forgot the referral I’m supposed to bring for the doctor I’m about to see at the apartment
- Crowded train
- Cancelled train, one stop later, due to power failure
- Scramble to find new bus stop (bus lines can be hard ok?)
- 2 semi-frantic calls to the doctor’s office because I’m standing at their address and can’t find their office and my appointment is in 4 minutes
- Find office at exact time of my appointment
- Doctor is 20 minutes late
- Pay $300 consult fee (ouch)
- Standing room only on train back to the city
- Walk up and down the same street for 10 minutes looking for building #87-89 and not seeing it (seriously, again?), but keep coming back to building #88. After second call to the office, realise I’m on the wrong side of the street. (D’oh)
- After a few more minutes of walking down the opposite side of the street, find that 87-89 is a full block ahead of building 88, in reverse order and in between numbers that don’t correspond in order. Nowhere is this fun fact mentioned on the website or by the office manager who answered my 3 phone calls (yes I called a third time) trying to find the damn entrance.
- Pay $200 for consultation because I misunderstood the website. (D’oh, again)
- Battle angry-sad PMS demon all the way home.
Some days are just dumb and expensive. And then, some days are dumb and expensive and hormonal. But sometimes, after said dumb, expensive, hormonal day, you realise you’re sitting on your couch in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday, wearing sweatpants and watching Jackass 3* and you think, “things could always be worse.”
After all, I got a smattering of good news today that I hope comes true. And our home feels extra homey lately, and not just an apartment we live in. And PMS doesn’t last forever**. Things are lookin’ up.
*I mean, I never thought I’d be a fan of Jackass, but hey. That’s not the worst show that I’m into. (Cough, Sisterwives, cough)
**at least until menopause. Which is kind of a shitty deal, isn’t it? Maybe things aren’t looking up. o_0
Is there anything better than a hot shower after you’ve been soaked by cold rain? I don’t think so.
It’s been raining and blustery since I woke up at 5:30 AM (thank you, office move and new 40 minute longer commute), which is perfect for me. I didn’t even mind so much when I was crossing the intersection and my umbrella blew inside out and my groceries got rained on and I stepped in a puddle. I’m pretty sure that’s because I’m still euphoric that it’s autumn and I can wear 2 layers and still feel chilly. Even if it’s been 2 hours and my hair is still damp. And I’ll probably feel this way until I wake up one day and I can feel frost on the windows… But even then, I’m sure I’ll remember the summer days when I would wake up with a tissue in my hand, dabbing the sweat off my face (true story, it happened more than once!), and I’ll think “this isn’t so bad.”
Life at my new office is awkward, as to be expected with any new merge. It’s like when the Stamford branch came to Scranton. Except we’re Scranton and the new office is Stamford and the building is full of Karen’s and Josh’s and it’s not nearly as fun anymore. Ah well.
Our weekend was crazy productive. I went on an organization tear and went on a ruthless purge. We also started our gallery wall, which I’m really excited to finish this week. We drank 800 cups of coffee, started and finished Better Call Saul, and ate delicious — and homemade — dinners. Including Waygu beef cheeseburgers and chili-hot-dog-tater tot party. We might have gained a few pounds and our hearts are pumping a little slower today, but damn. Totes worth it.
We started American Horror Story from the first season because neither of us have finished a full season, and we’re almost done with the first season. It’s so good! Good campy cold weather viewing.
That’s about it for us today… It’s cold, and my new early bird wake up time means I’m off to bed. It kinda sucks that I’m back to a “leave the house at 6:45 AM and get back at 6:30 PM” routine. But, I’m lucky to have a job, and at least I’m not driving through it. Oh man. Thank you sweet baby Jesus for public transportation.
Things that weren’t awesome:
- Our office is moving from our beautiful, palatial office to the crowded back building of a corporate business park. The fact that I look out onto a cemetery is quite fitting for how I feel about this
- Crowded stores
- The fact that 350*F converts to like 176.89*C and not just 175*
- Small ovens and uneven baking
- Bed is covered in laundry
- Joel left for a trip and there are creepy noises everywhere and I can’t sleep and I’m sad without him
- Also really miss my pets and my nieces/nephews. Basically miss having tiny monsters.
Things that were awesome:
- First day at work on new allergy regime and I didn’t sneeze or have a blocked nose. Am ecstatic.
- I only have to look at the cemetery for 5 weeks
- I will get a lot of reading done on my new 45 minute train commute
- New kitchen supplies
- Ate rice and cashews with BBQ sauce for dinner. Am redneck. Do not care.
- Baking project tackled
- At least the laundry is clean
- My favorite’s birthday is tomorrow
- Much needed impromptu 90 minute phone date with my mom. Much needed.
That’s 7 to 10. The awesome’s have it.